Sunday, 7 April 2013

I AM A MALAY-AMERICAN, A GAY MALE AND HAVE BEEN POZ FOR THE PAST 7 YEARS

Seorang pembaca yang hanya mengenalkan dirinya sebagai MW telah bercerita mengenai pengalaman beliau yang hidup sebagai POZ (HIV Positive) di Amerika Syarikat didalam ruang komen didalam entri "TEMUDUGA SAYA DENGAN DOKTOR PADA 3 APRIL 2013" pastinya ada petua nasihat serta beberapa maklumat baru berkaitan tentang HIV yang boleh kita pelajari dari beliau.


Dear Naj Mi,

I found your blogs a couple of hours ago in one of my random Google search. Pardon me, on my responses in English. As you can imagine, my written & spoken commands in Bahasa Melayu (today) are not as fluent as I wanted to be since I left Malaysia more than 20 years ago. Though I can (still) read and understand the content of your blogs in Bahasa - so, that's a good thing :)

I want to sincerely congratulate on your efforts and time to let others become informed through your own native tongue. To say the least, I am simply quite impressed on the works that you have put into the blogs. The translation and keeping-up with the current information on HIV/AIDS are up-to-date and robust, and most importantly, written in a form that many folks (from all walks of life) can understand and relate. So, KUDOS TO YOU! KEEP-UP THE GOOD JOB!

As a background, I am a Malay-American, a gay male in my early 40's and have been POZ (HIV positive) for the past 7 years. I am not an intravenous drug user and contracted HIV through same-sex partners. 

I am currently on ATRIPLA (see: http://www.atripla.com/) and have been "undetectable" within less than 30 days of taking my meds (that I only started taking 5 years ago, 2 years after I was diagnosed with HIV).


I am an active guy and also, a corporate executive who travels around the world (for my work), I am quite fortunate because I've never developed any HIV symptoms, unlike many folks and friends who are Poz. I suppose the best advice given by my Doctor (when I was first diagnosed) was to “take care of my body like a temple.”

I have since been doing many things in moderation while keeping a healthy diet, exercising regularly, and giving my body enough rests/sleeps every day; and importantly, minimizing the stress from work and personal life. 

Because I am not Moslem, nor am I religious by any standard, I have also incorporated Yoga & Pilates in my work-out routines. All, including weights, cardio exercises and being a non-smoker, have resulted in a lean and slender body mass and youthful appearance, the way I want to look for someone of my age.

Over this course, other than ATRIPLA, I do not take other HIV medications. Though, on a daily basis, I take multivitamin supplements; along with upping the in-take of calcium, magnesium and zinc. That's in addition to taking the salmon & flax seed oil on a rotational basis, every other day (salmon oil is for the skin; and flax seed oil for the heart). Knock on wood, because of my excellent health records and keeping-up with my numbers (and Doctor’s appointments), I only see her every 4 months.

"TRUVADA" Klik Disini

While ATRIPLA has been a great meds for the past 5 years, lately it does give me side effects. I have experienced terrible nightmares and vivid dreams to the point that I scream (so loud) and be suddenly awake from my deep sleep. Worst, I have been embarrassed in front my co-workers in those long haul flights (during my work travels around the world). Especially when the vivid dreams and screams have caused interrupted sleeping patterns. Too many times, I have also experienced severe mood swings, feeling depressed and become less patience about many things.

While I have been very careful and watching my health closely, the overall wellbeing and limiting on my alcohol consumptions, I suppose the problems that I’ve been having are “behavioral” issues than medical issues. Importantly, I believed that these have to do with other external factors in my life - including, the separation from my Life Partner last year, the stress at work, and challenges with my close family members who still reside in Malaysia.

I have shared these experiences with my Doctor and Psychologist. Because these have been an on-going issues for the past 6 months, one of the possibility that we are looking into is to switch my current meds to: STRIBLID (see: http://www.stribild.com/) a new drug approved by FDA (Food & Drugs Administration) in the US last year.


STRIBILD Klik Here

While the medical system here in the US can be expensive and is much different than in Malaysia, I am grateful that I am gainfully employed with a wonderful job which provides with an excellent care, benefits and health insurance, even when I am abroad for work. All my blood works, routine exams, meds, surgeries, hospitalization, health and overall wellbeing are being taken care of.

In the United States, we do have a system that covers us, people who are living with HIV and AIDS. Even, if I were to become unemployed, disable (in the future), or no longer getting benefits from work insurance. This includes the Ryan White Foundation and contributions by the State and Federal Government.

Whatever it is, I think, I have found a platform to share on my experiences on POSITIVE LIVING with you and other folks who are reading this in Malaysia (and elsewhere, wherever you may be). As such, I will continue to write and provide on-going responses (and references) in the future, as long as you don’t mind that I write in English.

HAVE A WONDERFUL SUNDAY!

Salam jauh dari kami di Amerika Syarikat!

MW





3 comments:

  1. Saya terfikir..adakah ubat yang plhiv guna dimalaysia..iaitu stocrin, bactrim, dan sebagainya sama standard dgn ubat yang mw ni ambil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MGDA

    Wallahuallam..saya pun tak pasti

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took Atripla for nearly 6 years until I learned that the side effects are more likely to kill a patient than AIDS, an invented disease. I've also learned that "HIV causes AIDS" is a very unstable and unproven theory. The drugs are taken because it is believed that this theory is fact; it is not. I stopped taking Atripla over 1 1/2 years ago. I will not be killed by the drugs given by a doctor who believes carefully constructed lies.

    ReplyDelete

LABELS

10 sepuluh (28) 4 peringkat hiv sebelum menjadi aids (1) 5 lima (11) adik MS (4) aids kaitan dengan penyakit kulit (1) aku plhiv redha (1) amenia dan hiv (1) apa itu hiv apa itu aids (1) aplikasi (4) asas tentang hiv/aids (6) baby free hiv (10) bacha bazi (1) bagaimana hiv berjangkit? (3) bagaimana hiv tidak berjangkit? (2) barah otak (1) baru diagnosis hiv (13) basikal (2) bengkak puting tetek (3) berapa lama kuman hiv bertahan diluar badan (1) berbekam (1) berita hiv/aids (112) bisekual (21) buku dan majalah (16) buku informasi hiv/aids (3) buku kehidupan yang positif (10) buku nota hiv/aids (4) buku panduan HIV Levi Strauss (3) cara mengetahui samada saya telah dijangkiti hiv? (1) CD4 (6) CMIA principle test (2) dairy kehidupan (342) delima (pomegranate) (2) derma darah (4) diabetes (3) Efavirenz (3) fakta (10) fidyah (1) filem (17) gonorea (3) HAART (27) habbatus sauda (nigella sativa) (1) harga ubatan (6) hari aids sedunia (12) hepatitis (3) herpes (9) herpes zoster (1) hiv bukan hukuman mati (1) hiv bukan penyebab aids (1) hiv kaitan dengan antidepresan dan penggunaan dadah (1) hiv kaitan dengan hipertensi dan osteoporosis (1) hiv kaitan dengan jantung dan diabetes (2) hiv kaitan dengan kanser dan ginjal (1) hiv kaitan dengan kemerosotan otak dan lemak (1) hiv kaitan dengan makanan dan supplemen (2) hiv kaitan dengan rokok dan alkohol (2) hiv test kit (8) homosekual (7) hukuman jenayah seksual luar tabii (2) icon (11) insurans/pinjaman peribadi plhiv (3) istilah yang perlu dielakkan (1) jangkitan dan simptom hiv (6) jangkitan hiv kali ke dua (2) jangkitan opportunistik (JO) (2) kaitan tidur dan hiv (1) kandida/fungus (1) kanser (12) kanser hidung (3) kanser payu dara lelaki (3) kaposi sarcoma (1) kaunseling telefon nombor (4) kelenjar tiroid (1) kesan sampingan (8) kesihatan (11) ketuat genital (4) keyakinan kemurungan kebimbangan terhadap hiv (20) khatan (7) kondom (3) lebah dan hiv/aids (3) lesbian (9) LGBT (31) lipoatrophy (5) liwat (14) luar negara (57) madu (1) majlis AIDS malaysia (MAC) (1) maklumat hiv/aids (158) mengapa perlu lakukan ujian hiv awal? (2) methadone maintenance therapy (MMT) (1) MFZ (3) minda jasmani rohani (1) mitos hiv (5) mulut dan gigi (1) MylifeMystoryPT (6) NAJMI (56) najmi jumpa doktor (9) nelayan dan hiv (1) nukilan (1) nyamuk (3) onani (2) organ hati/hepatoksisiti (1) p t foundition (2) panduan/petua (47) peenyembuhan penyakit hiv/aids (1) pemakanan (1) penagih dadah (13) penawar HIV/AIDS?? (2) pengenalan hiv/aids (1) penuaan (1) penyakit kelamin (30) pep - post exposure prophylaxis (2) peria katak (1) perkahwinan (70) photo (11) PLHIV (175) pneumonia (1) positif thinking (1) prosedur melangkah jalani ujian hiv (3) puasa (17) rawatan (8) rawatan dan sokongan bantuan (1) rawatan peringkat ke 2 (2) red ribbon (1) remaja bawah umur dan hiv (6) rencana/artikel (58) risalah (12) rogol (9) rumah perlindungan hiv (23) rumah wahidayah (9) RVD (RetroViral Disease) (1) sajak (1) sauna (2) saya positif (9) sejarah hiv/aids (5) seks dan hubungan (28) selebriti (13) sembuh cara islam (2) senaman (2) siapa hendak diberitahu? (3) sifilis (4) skim PAL (2) SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus) (1) SLN30 (1) soaljawab (89) solat (2) songsang (286) spirulina (1) stavudine (1) stigma/diskriminasi (27) stress (3) sub-jenis jenis golongan dan jenis hiv (1) tatoo dan tindik (1) TB tuberculosis (4) TENVIR EM dan STOCRIN (2) top vs bottom (1) travel dan plhiv (9) truvada pil pencegah hiv (1) ubat generik (2) ujian air kencing (2) ujian hiv imun cd4 dan viral load (2) ujian saringan hiv (15) umrah dan haji (4) urusan jenazah (6) video (83) viral load (5) wanita (119) window period 14 days (3) zakat (1) zali dan lisa (4) zoophilia (1)

RECENT POST